Skip to main content

The Week of the Chicken

My dear husband has "suggested" that I need to use up my frozen food supply because it drives him crazy that there are bags of "things" taking up "valuable space."  One in particular-the frozen chicken.  So this week is the week of the chicken.  5 lbs. actually is a lot of chicken once you scrape it all off. 

I made a delicious lemon, garlic and butter roasted chicken with root vegetables.  I stuffed lemon slices and smashed garlic under the skin and smooshed butter over the whole thing like Julia Child, then stuffed it with lemons, onions and carrots.  It was gorgeous.  And I forgot to take a  picture.  Anyhoo, we have a lot left. 

The rest of the week's creations will be:

1.  Chicken Pot Pie.  I need to master homemade puff pastry.
2.  Chicken Noodle Soup.  From this amazing roast bird came 2 cups of amazing broth.  It's drinkable.
3.  The usual chicken sandwiches that I'll be eating, as husband doesn't like leftover chicken bits.

I'm thinking maybe this sort of cooking schedule/plan would work excellent for us to continue-buying a chunk of meat and then creating very different meals for the rest of the week out of it, since we are both busy and he works late into the evenings many days.  Case in point-we didn't eat this amazing chicken until almost 9:00 last night. 

I did cook up the gizzards thinking my cat, Stickee would enjoy some, but he passed with a sniff.  His favorite people foods are yogurt (the weird flavors like lime and orange,) icecream (not chocolate,) french fries and cheese and lettuce sandwiches.  He's weird.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Project!

Nothing to do with diabetes here, I just wanted to show the awesome cabinet I found on Craig's List and hope to be picking up tonight!  It'll be my summer project, and Jeff has already said 'you'll never finish it' oh but I will.  We desperately need the storage in our kitchen and there's a big, empty wall that needs something on it too.  Here it is, not lookin' too hot.  The red paint is actually glass in the cabinets.  I'm very excited.  It needs a good re-furbishing...not sure what finish I want it in, any ideas?

Hot to the One-Touch

Has anyone noticed that it's damn hot in Minnesota?  My cat Stickee, hogging the fan this morning I've been fighting with my One-Touch Ping meter remote for the past 2 mos.  It had "Ping-ed" out.  The thing didn't seem to read or sense the strips when inserted or when blood was added.  I finally got fed up with swearing and throwing strips around and called One-Touch and they promptly sent me a new one!  Awesome customer service they have.  How nice it is not to waste 3-4 strips per test!  Back on track with my awesome testing schedule.  As for the home front: Too hot to paint right now... The garden is going insane with this humidity and heat!  I have to take pictures this week.  We've been eating snow peas regularly for a couple weeks and I've already harvested my first 1 1/2 cups of garden peas.  I really enjoyed sitting on the stoop shelling them :)  I quick-blanched and froze them.  I'm hopin...

A Low-Carb Bun in This Oven!

So we've made the official announcement, we're going to have a baby boy in January!  Hence the reason I've been MIA lately, besides having my surgery, then going to Flagstaff, AZ for the Labor Day weekend.  But the topic of this post is diabetes-related.  The dreaded insulin resistance in 2nd-3rd trimester has started... In the past 2 weeks I have continually increased my basals at all hours to at least double what they were pre-pregnancy.  My carb ratios have also almost doubled at all times.  Today was the last straw though, I had about 50 carbs for breakfast and actually bolused for 60, just to be safe, and 1 1/2 hours later, a damn 300 blood sugar!!  WTF?  I'm just tired of chasing the numbers...so low carb we will go! My husband has done the Adkins/low carb thing before and liked it because of course, he loves meat.  I'm slightly "meh" about eating meat, etc. all the time, but feel that high protein/low carb to be ...