Skip to main content

Cupcake Break!

I had promised my hubby some baked treats recently and I had a desperate craving for chocolate cake so I had to make some cupcakes.  But not just any cupcakes...Chocolate with a surprise of Cheesecake Filling, topped with Caramelized Walnuts. 


How to create these lovelies:

Make it easy on yourself and buy a box of chocolate cake mix.  Mix it up. 

Cheesecake filling:
1 pkg of light cream cheese
1 egg
1/3 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla or almond extract (or both!)

Keep cool, so it stays firm. 

Fill paper-lined muffin cups 1/2 full with the chocolate cake.  Add 1-2 tsp of the cream cheese mix, or more if you want more.  It cooks up cake-like, so don't worry.  Cover the cream cheese with chocolate cake mix until the cups are 3/4 full.  Bake as directed on the box, mine took around 18 mins I think. 

Before, During or After, make the walnuts.

Caramelized Walnuts:
(I made this up as I went, so just trust your candy thermometer!)

1/3 stick of real, unsalted butter
1/4-1/3 c. brown sugar
1 Tbsp light corn syrup
1/2 bag of walnuts (you may have to use more or less, depending how candy-coated you want them)

On med high heat, melt the butter and add the sugar and syrup.  While stirring continuously, heat to 300 degrees on a candy thermometer.  It should be a thick caramel-looking syrup at this point.  Add the walnuts, remove from heat and stir.  Do not let the caramel start smoking, as it will burn extremely quickly at this point.  Dump out on a wax paper covered cookie sheet and let cool.  Once hard, it will break apart easily, so don't worry about big clumps.

--It will also taste delicious, so don't try tasting the caramel before you put the nuts in like I did.  Even though I just saw on the thermometer that is was about 305 degrees, I still had to stick my finger tip on the spoon and burned the sh*# out of it. 

Frost your cupcakes with your favorite chocolate frosting (I used the sugar free version-hey less calories too!) and top with a pile of walnuts.  You will have extra walnuts, but they are a delicious snack by themselves or on ice cream :)

You also will probably have extra cream cheese filling.  I added 3 more eggs to it and the juice of a lime and made mini-key lime custards out of them.  Essentially mini cheesecakes (graham cracker and cinnamon bottoms) but more of a custard taste and feel. 


Who needs the glucose tabs in the background when I can eat one of these?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Project!

Nothing to do with diabetes here, I just wanted to show the awesome cabinet I found on Craig's List and hope to be picking up tonight!  It'll be my summer project, and Jeff has already said 'you'll never finish it' oh but I will.  We desperately need the storage in our kitchen and there's a big, empty wall that needs something on it too.  Here it is, not lookin' too hot.  The red paint is actually glass in the cabinets.  I'm very excited.  It needs a good re-furbishing...not sure what finish I want it in, any ideas?

Hot to the One-Touch

Has anyone noticed that it's damn hot in Minnesota?  My cat Stickee, hogging the fan this morning I've been fighting with my One-Touch Ping meter remote for the past 2 mos.  It had "Ping-ed" out.  The thing didn't seem to read or sense the strips when inserted or when blood was added.  I finally got fed up with swearing and throwing strips around and called One-Touch and they promptly sent me a new one!  Awesome customer service they have.  How nice it is not to waste 3-4 strips per test!  Back on track with my awesome testing schedule.  As for the home front: Too hot to paint right now... The garden is going insane with this humidity and heat!  I have to take pictures this week.  We've been eating snow peas regularly for a couple weeks and I've already harvested my first 1 1/2 cups of garden peas.  I really enjoyed sitting on the stoop shelling them :)  I quick-blanched and froze them.  I'm hopin...

A Low-Carb Bun in This Oven!

So we've made the official announcement, we're going to have a baby boy in January!  Hence the reason I've been MIA lately, besides having my surgery, then going to Flagstaff, AZ for the Labor Day weekend.  But the topic of this post is diabetes-related.  The dreaded insulin resistance in 2nd-3rd trimester has started... In the past 2 weeks I have continually increased my basals at all hours to at least double what they were pre-pregnancy.  My carb ratios have also almost doubled at all times.  Today was the last straw though, I had about 50 carbs for breakfast and actually bolused for 60, just to be safe, and 1 1/2 hours later, a damn 300 blood sugar!!  WTF?  I'm just tired of chasing the numbers...so low carb we will go! My husband has done the Adkins/low carb thing before and liked it because of course, he loves meat.  I'm slightly "meh" about eating meat, etc. all the time, but feel that high protein/low carb to be ...