Skip to main content

Weather gods are smirking?


   

Doesn't this look lovely?  A bit stormy, but the rain and warmth are needed.  I'm hoping my little plants will get all jazzed up with the warmth and double or triple in size by this coming weekend.

This week I planted the Scarlett Runner Beans, Scarlett O'Hara & Grandpa Ott Morning Glories, and Trionfo Violetto beans.  I came across a description of these heirloom beans on the You Grow Girl blog-which has tons of useful garden info on it-recommend reading this for urban-gardening info also. 

The rest of the patio garden (6'x25'+?) is now all weeded and chopped up, waiting for the rain.  I have chosen to fill my gardens with vegetables first and then pack in the flowers once the veg are established.  Last year I planted over 100 annuals in the patio garden and it was amazing and jungle-like...though I only had about a 6'x12' area for vegetables and it wasn't enough for me!  I think I may put a couple of the tomato and pepper plants in here just to have them close to the house. 

My new garden plot is 4'x16' and was supposed to be tilled last night, but the little Mantis wouldn't start.  I had manually cut the sod out and shook all of the dirt from the grass hunks, so it is usable, but I feel it needs a good till before I dump in my many bags and buckets of compost.  I do need to get this done and plant my other seeds by this weekend, as I am having my carpal tunnel surgery on the 10th and won't be able to work in the garden for a while.  At least until I can't stand it and start doing things left-handed!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Project!

Nothing to do with diabetes here, I just wanted to show the awesome cabinet I found on Craig's List and hope to be picking up tonight!  It'll be my summer project, and Jeff has already said 'you'll never finish it' oh but I will.  We desperately need the storage in our kitchen and there's a big, empty wall that needs something on it too.  Here it is, not lookin' too hot.  The red paint is actually glass in the cabinets.  I'm very excited.  It needs a good re-furbishing...not sure what finish I want it in, any ideas?

Like my new blog?

I've decided to change my blog name, as I find myself talking more about food and gardening than JUST diabetes.  I wanted to have more of a concrete theme that had room for a bigger variety of stories.  I obviously will never be un-diabetic, so it will rear it's ugly head in more than one story I'm sure.  I'm looking to redesign my blog too, so I can better organize it and sort my posts.  Thanks for still following you 6 people, and hopefully there will be more soon!

Time for Tea-Anise Hyssop, Mullein and Chamomile for a Cold

      I created a new website! It has my blog and the herbal products that I'm creating from the home grown herbs and flowers that I grow. Please come on over and follow me at: www.katiebirdsgarden.com     I've been foraging, growing and drying herbs and flowers all summer so I could have a nice variety of herbal tea blends. Well, now that its the third week of school, we all are a bit sniffly with a cold and its the perfect time to try some out!  Today I'm stuffy and sneezy, so I've blended up a cup of chamomile, mullein and anise hyssop. it tastes amazing! I love anise flavoring, or black licorice flavor as some people may reference, so this cup is quite enjoyable.  Mullein leaves are known to have respiratory-supporting and anti-inflammatory traits, so I've included them along with chamomile for its soothing effects, and some anise hyssop, which has cough suppressing properties, and as mentioned, great flavor!  I filled a paper teabag with the ...