Skip to main content

My First 5k!

I have been teaching myself how to run this spring and as motivation, I signed up for the Fitger's 5k, in Duluth, MN this weekend (grew up in the area and still have family and am running with my sister and my Dad's wife).  I haven't been able to really run the full 3.1 miles, as my blood sugars tend to drop if I get my heart rate up too high for too long.  I have found that if I make a point of taking a 1-2 minute break after a mile and then again after each 1/2-3/4 mile and just walk, I don't get so low, as fast.  Inhaling some purple glucose tabs helps a little too.

I've only lost 3 lbs.  BUT, I have shrunken down a bit and am not as bloaty-looking around the middle.  Guess that's progress.  I think that when I get back to the lower-heart rate cardio (my beloved elliptical machine) with some high-rate intervals and weights mixed in, the shrinkage will go much faster. 

I am participating in our local mega-gym's team training program, which consists of 2 workouts a week and the blood sugars have been pretty steady during those.  The workouts consist of high intensity interval training with some weights and lunges thrown in for fun.  I hate lunges.  The "heavier" ladies are losing weight like there's no tomorrow but I have to remember I'm in better shape to start with and have more muscle.  Still sucks though not to see the numbers.

Wish me luck I don't freeze running on the shore of Lake Superior this weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Project!

Nothing to do with diabetes here, I just wanted to show the awesome cabinet I found on Craig's List and hope to be picking up tonight!  It'll be my summer project, and Jeff has already said 'you'll never finish it' oh but I will.  We desperately need the storage in our kitchen and there's a big, empty wall that needs something on it too.  Here it is, not lookin' too hot.  The red paint is actually glass in the cabinets.  I'm very excited.  It needs a good re-furbishing...not sure what finish I want it in, any ideas?

Hot to the One-Touch

Has anyone noticed that it's damn hot in Minnesota?  My cat Stickee, hogging the fan this morning I've been fighting with my One-Touch Ping meter remote for the past 2 mos.  It had "Ping-ed" out.  The thing didn't seem to read or sense the strips when inserted or when blood was added.  I finally got fed up with swearing and throwing strips around and called One-Touch and they promptly sent me a new one!  Awesome customer service they have.  How nice it is not to waste 3-4 strips per test!  Back on track with my awesome testing schedule.  As for the home front: Too hot to paint right now... The garden is going insane with this humidity and heat!  I have to take pictures this week.  We've been eating snow peas regularly for a couple weeks and I've already harvested my first 1 1/2 cups of garden peas.  I really enjoyed sitting on the stoop shelling them :)  I quick-blanched and froze them.  I'm hopin...

A Low-Carb Bun in This Oven!

So we've made the official announcement, we're going to have a baby boy in January!  Hence the reason I've been MIA lately, besides having my surgery, then going to Flagstaff, AZ for the Labor Day weekend.  But the topic of this post is diabetes-related.  The dreaded insulin resistance in 2nd-3rd trimester has started... In the past 2 weeks I have continually increased my basals at all hours to at least double what they were pre-pregnancy.  My carb ratios have also almost doubled at all times.  Today was the last straw though, I had about 50 carbs for breakfast and actually bolused for 60, just to be safe, and 1 1/2 hours later, a damn 300 blood sugar!!  WTF?  I'm just tired of chasing the numbers...so low carb we will go! My husband has done the Adkins/low carb thing before and liked it because of course, he loves meat.  I'm slightly "meh" about eating meat, etc. all the time, but feel that high protein/low carb to be ...