Skip to main content

Most Amazing Potato Soup Ever!

I created a new website! It has my blog and the herbal products that I'm creating from the home grown herbs and flowers that I grow. Please come on over and follow me at:

www.katiebirdsgarden.com 



My husband loves loaded baked and mashed potatoes.  I decided to create a soup based on his slight obsession.  He loves this too.  




Loaded Baked Potato Soup

2 Yukon Gold potatoes, diced
1 rib of celery, diced
2 small carrots, finely diced (adds a bit of sweetness, but aren't totally necessary)
Small yellow onion, diced
1/3-1/2 c. bacon bits/pieces (REAL bacon, not the fake kind)
2-3 green onions/scallions, chopped
2 T butter
1 c.-1 1/2 c. (more or less) chicken broth 
1/2 quart cream (skim milk if you want to make this sorta healthy, but it's just not the same)
1 can cheddar cheese soup
Pepper


Melt the butter at med-high heat, add yellow onions and cook until almost translucent, then toss in the bacon during this to warm up the flavor.  Add the broth and bring to a simmer.

To the liquid add the potatoes, celery and carrots and a healthy grind of pepper.  Simmer the vegetables until the potatoes are cooked through, but not too soft.  You have to taste test them to make sure!

When the veggies are cooked, add the can of cheddar cheese soup, stir until incorporated.  Then, add the cream.  If the soup is too thick, add more chicken broth (or milk) to thin it out a bit.  Add the green onions and let simmer for at least 15 mins to let the flavors mix together.  Be sure to stir this often, as you can burn the soup!

Tastes great with some toasted garlic bread.


Creates about 4-6 servings, depending on how much you eat.

I'm not going to touch on the calorie total...it'll ruin the experience.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Project!

Nothing to do with diabetes here, I just wanted to show the awesome cabinet I found on Craig's List and hope to be picking up tonight!  It'll be my summer project, and Jeff has already said 'you'll never finish it' oh but I will.  We desperately need the storage in our kitchen and there's a big, empty wall that needs something on it too.  Here it is, not lookin' too hot.  The red paint is actually glass in the cabinets.  I'm very excited.  It needs a good re-furbishing...not sure what finish I want it in, any ideas?

Hot to the One-Touch

Has anyone noticed that it's damn hot in Minnesota?  My cat Stickee, hogging the fan this morning I've been fighting with my One-Touch Ping meter remote for the past 2 mos.  It had "Ping-ed" out.  The thing didn't seem to read or sense the strips when inserted or when blood was added.  I finally got fed up with swearing and throwing strips around and called One-Touch and they promptly sent me a new one!  Awesome customer service they have.  How nice it is not to waste 3-4 strips per test!  Back on track with my awesome testing schedule.  As for the home front: Too hot to paint right now... The garden is going insane with this humidity and heat!  I have to take pictures this week.  We've been eating snow peas regularly for a couple weeks and I've already harvested my first 1 1/2 cups of garden peas.  I really enjoyed sitting on the stoop shelling them :)  I quick-blanched and froze them.  I'm hopin...

A Low-Carb Bun in This Oven!

So we've made the official announcement, we're going to have a baby boy in January!  Hence the reason I've been MIA lately, besides having my surgery, then going to Flagstaff, AZ for the Labor Day weekend.  But the topic of this post is diabetes-related.  The dreaded insulin resistance in 2nd-3rd trimester has started... In the past 2 weeks I have continually increased my basals at all hours to at least double what they were pre-pregnancy.  My carb ratios have also almost doubled at all times.  Today was the last straw though, I had about 50 carbs for breakfast and actually bolused for 60, just to be safe, and 1 1/2 hours later, a damn 300 blood sugar!!  WTF?  I'm just tired of chasing the numbers...so low carb we will go! My husband has done the Adkins/low carb thing before and liked it because of course, he loves meat.  I'm slightly "meh" about eating meat, etc. all the time, but feel that high protein/low carb to be ...