Skip to main content

Returning to the Garden Blog

 Well Hello!

I created a new website! It has my blog and the herbal products that I'm creating from the home grown herbs and flowers that I grow. Please come on over and follow me at:

www.katiebirdsgarden.com 

I think its been years...yes it has. We've done a lot of things: our son is 9, I've had a couple different jobs, we own a home. But I still feel the need to create and write about it. 

This blog started with the garden and I'm going to continue with the garden! 

I now have a raised bed garden in our back yard, made up of 12, 3x4' steel beds. It looks really nice and produces well also. I started them last year with 8 beds. This year I added 4 more and also surrounded the garden with a flower garden! Its so beautiful, so full of pollinators and also the rogue critters. 

Since it was a lot of cubic feet to fill, I chose to follow the hügelkultur route. I filled the bottoms with 6" of dead tree logs, sticks and bits. Topped that with tons of decomposing leaves and then about 6" of black dirt. It is super healthy and the plants grow crazy. After the first year, the dirt sank quite a bit, as expected, so I've been making a point to compost all of our food waste into the forest compost pile, along with all of the garden pruning bits and dead plants. The pile should create enough compost each fall to top off the beds in expectation of next spring.

I'm quite proud that I started all the plants (with the exception of brussels sprouts and some fancy hot peppers) from seed or bulb/tuber. 

I hope to continue with this blog, similar to a garden and kitchen journal. I hope you choose to follow along! 


fresh flower bouquet


Because this is the age of social media and monetization, I find it fun to try out different apps and ways to fund my garden activities. I chose to use the Amazon Affiliates program. It's always appreciated if you click through my Amazon link and complete your purchases through that. Just by going "through" my link, a tiny percentage of whatever you purchase may be shared to my small business.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Project!

Nothing to do with diabetes here, I just wanted to show the awesome cabinet I found on Craig's List and hope to be picking up tonight!  It'll be my summer project, and Jeff has already said 'you'll never finish it' oh but I will.  We desperately need the storage in our kitchen and there's a big, empty wall that needs something on it too.  Here it is, not lookin' too hot.  The red paint is actually glass in the cabinets.  I'm very excited.  It needs a good re-furbishing...not sure what finish I want it in, any ideas?

Hot to the One-Touch

Has anyone noticed that it's damn hot in Minnesota?  My cat Stickee, hogging the fan this morning I've been fighting with my One-Touch Ping meter remote for the past 2 mos.  It had "Ping-ed" out.  The thing didn't seem to read or sense the strips when inserted or when blood was added.  I finally got fed up with swearing and throwing strips around and called One-Touch and they promptly sent me a new one!  Awesome customer service they have.  How nice it is not to waste 3-4 strips per test!  Back on track with my awesome testing schedule.  As for the home front: Too hot to paint right now... The garden is going insane with this humidity and heat!  I have to take pictures this week.  We've been eating snow peas regularly for a couple weeks and I've already harvested my first 1 1/2 cups of garden peas.  I really enjoyed sitting on the stoop shelling them :)  I quick-blanched and froze them.  I'm hopin...

A Low-Carb Bun in This Oven!

So we've made the official announcement, we're going to have a baby boy in January!  Hence the reason I've been MIA lately, besides having my surgery, then going to Flagstaff, AZ for the Labor Day weekend.  But the topic of this post is diabetes-related.  The dreaded insulin resistance in 2nd-3rd trimester has started... In the past 2 weeks I have continually increased my basals at all hours to at least double what they were pre-pregnancy.  My carb ratios have also almost doubled at all times.  Today was the last straw though, I had about 50 carbs for breakfast and actually bolused for 60, just to be safe, and 1 1/2 hours later, a damn 300 blood sugar!!  WTF?  I'm just tired of chasing the numbers...so low carb we will go! My husband has done the Adkins/low carb thing before and liked it because of course, he loves meat.  I'm slightly "meh" about eating meat, etc. all the time, but feel that high protein/low carb to be ...