Skip to main content

Finding Your Garden Why

 

I created a new website! It has my blog and the herbal products that I'm creating from the home grown herbs and flowers that I grow. Please come on over and follow me at:

www.katiebirdsgarden.com 

    Recent events have encouraged—and maybe forced—many people to grow their own food. This isn’t new to humans, but since people started living in cities, residential lots became smaller, time has become sparse, not many people were growing their own food. Grocery stores are abundant in most places, home delivery enables us to order things and receive them almost instantly. But people seem to be feeling the need to come back to the “roots” of supporting themselves, at least a little bit.

    So, you feel the need to garden.  Before going out and buying all the seeds, you should think about why you actually want or need to do it. Some things that pop into mind could be, wanting to eat fresh (or maybe clean/more organic) food, reducing grocery costs, preserving for off seasons, increasing accessibility to food, lessening food insecurity, even mental health is a great reason!  If you’re like me though, when I’m getting into a new hobby or project, I tend to want to DO EVERYTHING! Finding your purpose can help streamline your plans and probably save some money in the long run.

    Here are a couple things to consider and questions to ask yourself when starting a garden for either food or flowers:

·       Space. Do you have a yard? A patio? A field? The size of your available space will tell you what and how much you can grow. If you’re limited on actual ground to dig in, raised beds are a great option. You can build on top of the ground or even make or purchase beds that are on legs, which can be quite beneficial for people who may be limited in their bending or squatting abilities.

Sun. How much sunlight will your spot receive? Most vegetables need to get a minimum of 6 hours of sunlight to produce decent foliage and produce fruit. Some plants like lettuces can do with less and prefer a slightly shady and cooler spot.

Water. We all need water to survive. When having a garden, having accessible water is a necessity. You may get lucky at some points in your season and not have to water, but that is very rare for most people. Small patio gardens can be taken care of with watering cans, but after refilling and lugging a full watering can more than a couple trips, it can be quite tiring and time consuming. An outside spigot with a hose works quite easy if you want to water by hand and your garden is close by. If your space is larger and farther away from your water source, drip systems (automatic or manually controlled) can take care of the job and are more beneficial in watering the ground, instead of hitting the plants. Overhead watering can cause mildew or blight and wastes water to evaporation.

Pests. Do you have rodents, insects or larger animals that may bother your plants? You may have to build fencing around your space to deter the larger animals. Many insects can be deterred by using a technique called companion planting, which entails planting specific plants amongst your garden that are known to deter the bad and attract the beneficial insects. If it’s a major problem, there are insecticides and even organic pest protection options available.

Time. Do you have time for what you’re planning? Gardens require more time in the spring and fall, so think about your personal habits and schedules. I know I must really think about seed planting with spring work trips and then later summer family vacations coinciding with heavy harvesting periods. My pet-sitter also is a garden-sitter, most of the time.  

Taste. Do you really like to eat what you’re growing? People tend to get caught up in the new varieties of vegetables and social media favorites. But please remember that somebody needs to eat what comes out of your garden! If you don’t really like squash, don’t grow it. It’s that simple.

    I hope this short list of ideas and things to consider will help you start your garden journey. Remember, growing anything is growing something.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Project!

Nothing to do with diabetes here, I just wanted to show the awesome cabinet I found on Craig's List and hope to be picking up tonight!  It'll be my summer project, and Jeff has already said 'you'll never finish it' oh but I will.  We desperately need the storage in our kitchen and there's a big, empty wall that needs something on it too.  Here it is, not lookin' too hot.  The red paint is actually glass in the cabinets.  I'm very excited.  It needs a good re-furbishing...not sure what finish I want it in, any ideas?

Hot to the One-Touch

Has anyone noticed that it's damn hot in Minnesota?  My cat Stickee, hogging the fan this morning I've been fighting with my One-Touch Ping meter remote for the past 2 mos.  It had "Ping-ed" out.  The thing didn't seem to read or sense the strips when inserted or when blood was added.  I finally got fed up with swearing and throwing strips around and called One-Touch and they promptly sent me a new one!  Awesome customer service they have.  How nice it is not to waste 3-4 strips per test!  Back on track with my awesome testing schedule.  As for the home front: Too hot to paint right now... The garden is going insane with this humidity and heat!  I have to take pictures this week.  We've been eating snow peas regularly for a couple weeks and I've already harvested my first 1 1/2 cups of garden peas.  I really enjoyed sitting on the stoop shelling them :)  I quick-blanched and froze them.  I'm hopin...

A Low-Carb Bun in This Oven!

So we've made the official announcement, we're going to have a baby boy in January!  Hence the reason I've been MIA lately, besides having my surgery, then going to Flagstaff, AZ for the Labor Day weekend.  But the topic of this post is diabetes-related.  The dreaded insulin resistance in 2nd-3rd trimester has started... In the past 2 weeks I have continually increased my basals at all hours to at least double what they were pre-pregnancy.  My carb ratios have also almost doubled at all times.  Today was the last straw though, I had about 50 carbs for breakfast and actually bolused for 60, just to be safe, and 1 1/2 hours later, a damn 300 blood sugar!!  WTF?  I'm just tired of chasing the numbers...so low carb we will go! My husband has done the Adkins/low carb thing before and liked it because of course, he loves meat.  I'm slightly "meh" about eating meat, etc. all the time, but feel that high protein/low carb to be ...